Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Dart Between the Eyes!

The time was in the 1950's in Kasson, MN.  I suppose I was age 10-12.  I left my apartment above Kraher's Meat Market on main street to go to a friend's house to play.  I don't remember brothers Mike or Jim being there with me.  The friend had hung a dart board on the tree near his home and he and I and a number of other kids from the area were trying to hit the bulls eye with metal tipped darts.

Not long into the game, I walked up to the tree and leaned over to pick up some darts.  Just as I stood up and turned my head to face the kids, with my back to the dart board, I was hit between, my eyes (about 1/2 in above the nasal bone into the frontal bone) with a dart that one of the kids had thrown!!   So there I was, standing with a dart sticking out of my skull!

It took a few seconds to realize that nothing was damaged.  I didn't think the dart tip had penetrated my skull completely and there was no blood or pain.  I simply pulled out the dart to the wonderment of the staring kids, and we all breathed a sigh of relief especially the person who had thrown the dart.   Afterwards, we continued playing the game as before but with new rules.

The indent in my skin where the dart had penetrated, was still visible for years to follow.  Not enough for anybody to notice except me who was always reminded that I could have lost an eye that day!

Below is a photo of a dartboard against a tree that I purchased from dreamstime.com for use in this blog.  The photo is illustrative only as I remember our dart board being hung on a nail higher up the trunk of the tree.  The dart board itself was similar however, being made of concentric laminations so that the dart tips could easily penetrate the surface.

© Socrates | Dreamstime.com