Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2022

Holy Thursday 2022

 

Jesus blesses bread at His last supper

(Last Supper, altarpiece in Mother Teresa cathedral in Vau i Dejes, Albania. Photo 98253297 © Zatletic | Dreamstime.com)

"When evening came, he was at table with the twelve disciples. And while they were eating he said 'I tell you solemnly, one of you is about to betray me'. They were greatly distressed and started asking him in turn, 'Not I, Lord, surely'? He answered, 'Someone who has dipped his hand into the dish with me, will betray me ... Judas, who was to betray him, asked in his turn, 'Not I, Rabbi, surely?' 'They are your own words' answered Jesus.' " (Mt:26:20-25)

"Now as they were eating Jesus took some bread, and when he had said the blessing he broke it and gave it to the disciples. 'Take it and eat;' he said 'this is my body.' Then he took a cup, and when he had returned thanks he gave it to them. 'Drink all of you from this,' he said 'for this is my blood, the blood of the covenant, which is to be poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. From now on, I tell you, I shall not drink wine until the day I drink the new wine with you in the kingdom of my Father.' " (Mt:26:26-29)

Note: Scripture passage is from the Jerusalem Bible copyright 1966 by Darton, Longman & Todd Ltd and Doubleday & Company, Inc. Garden City, New York,